On April 10, 2008 I visited NAS Joint Reserve Base New Orleans in Belle Chasse, Louisiana. This large base is shared by the US Navy, US Marine Corps, Louisiana Air National Guard and the US Coast Guard!
Regrettably we were not blessed with sunshine but nevertheless it was an interesting visit.
Based units were:
- VFA-204 River Rattlers flying the McDonnell F/A-18 Hornet
- VR-54 Revelers flying the Lockheed C-130T Hercules
US Marine Corps
- MAG-42 (now MAG-49) flying the Bell AH-1W Super Cobra and Bell UH-1N Iroquois
Louisiana Air National Guard
- 159th Fighter Wing/122nd Fighter Squadron “Bayou Militia” flying the Mcdonnell-Douglas F15C/D Eagle
US Coast Guard
- Flying the Aerospatiale HH-65C Dolphin
I was only able to visit the USN and USMC areas due to time constraints. I would like to acknowledge the following people for their assistance in making this base visit possible:
- Lieutenant Commander Carlos A Monreal, US Navy
- MC-1 William Townsend, US Navy